Old May 24th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question

I've tried that and liked it, but there are a few things I need to do
that I can't seem to do with Ubuntu.Â* I'm sure there are ways, but I'm
and old dog and these new tricks take too much time to learn...

I have a cheap little windows laptop that I keep in the hangar and,
trying to improve its performance, I managed to turn it into a door
stop.Â* I only recovered it by installing Ubuntu first and then
downloading a windows iso file.

On 5/24/2019 8:54 AM, kinsell wrote:
Put a Linux like Ubuntu on your PC.Â* Fast, stable, secure, and free.

On 5/24/19 8:35 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is there an Apple/Mac simulator that runs on a PC?

On 5/24/2019 6:19 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:03:44 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 8:09:32 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 2:55:12 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 1:15:26 PM UTC-7, vtcyclist wrote:
Ron.Â* Thanks for the suggestion.Â* At the top of Craggy’s LXNAV
page is the warning not to download LXNAV files with an Apple
product.Â* That solves the firmware problem.
Glad that worked for you.Â* I've downloaded LXNAV files to my
Apple MacBookPro many times and they always worked for me.Â*
Anyway, whatever works for you is what is important.
Almost every time some one calls about a firmware problem with
LXNAV & PowerFlarm it is because they tried to download with an
Apple Computer or and Apple computer with a Windows emulator.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
And the new PowerFLARM 6.60 firmware fixes that mac compatibility
issue, but the irony is folks are having trouble upgrading to that
using a Mac :-)

For now with a Mac you can manually remove the unneeded hidden
files that the Mac is putting on the USB stick, they are throwbacks
to old Mac compatibility resource fork crap. Deleting the hidden
files affects nothing, just makes the FLARM update work. Easiest
way is to use the Terminal.app on the Mac to find and remove any
._filename.ext hidden files (e.g. ls ._* to see them). If needed
find a kid who knows UNIX/linux to help you, take then for a glider
ride in return.
I am not as versed in electrons as most engineers on this site, so
what I am saying is more visceral.Â* I have been a Mac user since
1984, with just a few brief virus, trojan, and ransom filled forays
into the PC world.Â* When I got back into gliding after a 15 year
hiatus, the instruments and software had developed to the Piont I
now needed to access the data. Thought about using the Mac, but then
for with little research I purchased a Levono 900 used for $400.Â*
Macs are expensive and I didn't want to expose it to the desires and
diseases of the other side of the tracks

--
Dan, 5J