Old November 13th 05, 01:30 PM
TaxSrv

Default Aircraft tax question

"Mike Rapoport" wrote:
Figuring out your cost basis after years of ownership
would be very difficult if not impossible.

Not necessarily at all. Basis is simply original cost, plus only
capital expenditures. Latter typically is engine and/or prop,
major overhaul or new. Add amounts spent for avionics plus
additional panel instrumentation, not mere replacements. Subtract
avionics ripped out and sold, removing the sales price, like on
eBay. Paint is never a capital item, but an interior would be if a
significant improvement, like leather replacing cloth or ugly
factory design.

An abnormal case, but mine was $12K new in 1977; so say sold now
for $30K. Avionics items about $5K years ago on a mental tally.
Interior job don't count; it was essentially repair replacement.
So I have a guess $13K taxable gain, at a low capital gain rate. I
need then to dig out the actual avionics invoices, which I should
have in a fat file folder, or list from memory where need be. A
good-faith estimate for basis items can go on a 1040; if audited,
discuss then without much fuss.

If a loss on a personal use aircraft, nothing is reported to IRS,
as it is net gain, not sales price which is reported on 1040 Sch D.

Fred F.