Old February 20th 04, 07:35 PM
pacplyer

"Jim Anglin" wrote in message link.net...
Can any of you CFIs tell me where I can find a description of Class G
airspace? Part 71 says F & G are reserved, but other parts reference Class
G (Part 91 for instance under traffic patterns in airports with no operating
control tower in Class G space).

TIA

Jim

Jim,

The government gets an "F" in describing Class G. It's probably
because they don't want you to enjoy it! ;-) Class G (the good stuff)
used to be the One sm vis and clear of clouds airspace that was below
huge airspace called "Transition area" (shown in magenta red outline
on sec charts; blo 700 ft agl) and "Control area" (shown in blue
outline; blo 1200 ft agl) It was a type of uncontrolled airspace
(which had nothing to do with radio control, strictly wx minima.) The
dumb names above were dropped but the good stuff is still down there.
As long as you miss the clouds by one inch you're legal!

Enjoy,

(just avoid cumulogranite, transmission lines, other surely bond
slippers, angry cops on the ground etc....

pacplyer - out