Old November 4th 04, 05:13 AM
Roy Epperson

I'm not sure I agree... I think Gephardt lost out because of nothing
short of a lack of charisma. I don't think people were paying that much

When Gephardt and Lieberman and other Democrats who are toward the central
of the political spectrum "dropped" out, there was a feeling the GWB was
unbeatable. When they dropped by the wayside, further left of center to
dominate the selection process.

Unfortunately / fortunately depending on one's political perspective, the
DNC has not put forward a candidate who could pull voters from the center
and right of center except for Kennedy and Clinton. Dukas was a "old style"
Eastern Liberal. Gore was an "heir apparent" because he serviced with
Clinton but move to the left of center during the campaign and lost the
center votes he needed.

No party can win the poplar vote unless they can pull voters from the other
side of center from their base. Be too far to the extremes of the spectrum
and they loose the cross over vote.