Old January 7th 04, 02:39 PM

Well, "junk" is in the eyes of the beholder I guess. I do have plans
for upgrading the Scorpion's rotor head and control systems at some
time. It currently uses the old cable-in-shaft system. Upgrading the
power transmission system to a transmission/shaft system will be a
little longer.

The first upgrade on the list is the landing gear. Scorpions have a
low (and thus dangerous) landing gear. The gear needs to be more like
an R22 so that the steel will cushion an impact with the ground.

There are several upgrades that I will be doing before I take it more
than a few feet up. The ignition system on the evinrude motor needs
attention. Its a solid state electronic module made in the late 60's.
I have heard rumors that this unit can fail. I want to convert to
some sort of makeshift dual ignition system like the one that the R22
uses.

And the list goes on. Don't worry about me and my bird. I also plan
to eddy current test or magnaflux all the critical components.
Speaking of which, does anybody know if x-ray is a better test than
eddy current when testing aluminum parts?

Dennis H.

(helicopterandy) wrote:

Dennis,
Do yourself (and your family) a favor and throw away all the Scorpion
junk.
I'm sory, but if you want to take ridculous risks, try tightrope
walking.
Seriously. For some reason most here using this forumn are obviously
kit chopper hobbysts and won't face the music and tell you that you're
gambling with your life fooling around w/ this junk.
Try Robinson. Schweitzer, Bell ect.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm