Old May 29th 18, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Trailer license problem

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 3:14:16 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
FWIW - I had the exact same experience in NJ years ago. I had a BRAND NEW trailer with all of the appropriate DOT forms, invoice from the factory, etc. First location said it would be impossible without all sorts of notarized stuff from the German manufacturer. On a hunch, I went to a rural county where they got it done in about 10 minutes. Turns out they routinely registered Brenderup horse trailers from Europe and were used to the documentation.

YMMV

P3

As we talk about our experiences, when I was registering my trailer in MI I was asked to show a proof of the weight. I had the original factory (Cobra) document from Germany (from 1980s), giving the weight in kilograms. The lady at the counter told me: "Ain't kilograms here, has to be pounds". Spindelbeger were very understanding and sent me a new document with kilograms and pounds, and it worked out. I thanked them at the last SSA Convention in Reno and they told me that it's their practice now to give the weight now in both kgs and lbs. So much for the US love for the imperial units.