Old January 10th 04, 05:06 PM
Gary Boggs

I don't know why there aren't more women in soaring but the ones that are
involved are definitely the cream of the crop, best of the best, examples of
great people you could
ever hope to find! I still get a warm and cozy feeling when I remember at
the 15meter nationals in Tonopah when all the men were using a microphone
to talk and then Cindy had something to say, she didn't need one of those
wimpy microphones! Here's to Cindy and Judy and Marion and Doris and Jan
and all the rest of the wives and crew and pilots that ARE involved in our
great sport!

P.S. Is it too obvious that I'm single?

Gary Boggs and my faithful dog, Rotor.

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
At 08:24 10 January 2004, Judy Ruprecht wrote:
At 03:30 10 January 2004, Jim Culp wrote:
Questions regarding females and gliding:

1. Why do more females not fly gliders?
(Therein may be answer to why are there so few women
glider pilots.)

(And there followed a bunch of balderdash!)

Here, IMHO, is the reason there aren't more US women
in soaring: their parents/significant others/spouses/children/
friends are not apt to say...

'Oh yes, $75 - 100 per flight is a reasonable amount
to pay for the 20 to 30 flights you'll need to solo...
(and later on, 'Gee, a gently used ASW 20 with a Cobra
trailer really is a steal at under $30,000.')

'I'd love to crew for you.'

'I understand tomorrow's soaring forecast looks great,
so I'll (pick one: take the day off/hire a babysitter)
to take care of the kids for you.'

'I'd love to crew for you.'

'Hi, Toots. My name is Prince Charming, I have my own
hair and teeth, neither of which needs to be stashed
on a bedside table over night. I own an air conditioned
motorhome with a 1 7/8 ball and I know my way around
the root end of the wing during assembly of the aforementioned
ASW-20. I will never tell you to quit flying gliders
and I will thrill to the dulcet tone of your voice
every time you say, 'There I was at 500 feet...' '

'I'd love to crew for you.'

Any more questions?

Judy

But, Judy!

Nobody says those things to the guys, either!
Maybe it takes a self-centered, insensitive clod to
be a glider pilot. Is there a descriptor for such
a female? If I knew one I wouldn't dare use it. (In
any case, I know it wouldn't fit you!)