Old October 15th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

Default LX7007 & "LX Compass module" - wind calc

The compass module enables legacy LX Navigation devices to calculate
wind without having to circle. Different manufacturers use different
algorithms and hardware to come up with this data so not all need a
compass module.

Cheers,
Luke Szczepaniak

On 10/15/2013 12:24 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Whatever happened to what we old-timers used to call the "whiskey
compass"? Why would you have to buy a compass module for your flight
computer when you (should) have a simple, reliable, cheap magnetic
compass on the panel?

And, assuming you have a GPS, doesn't ground track work well enough? Do
you really need magnetic heading? Don't forget to subtract variation
(declination for mon-military types). Oh, that's probably add variation
if you're in the eastern half of the world.

"Charlie Papa" wrote in message
On Monday, October 14, 2013 2:59:33 PM UTC-4, Pam Howarth wrote:
Does anyone have first hand experience of the LX7007 coupled to the "LX

Compass module"? Specifically at how good it is at calculating the wind

direction/speed?

By itself the LX7007 is less than convincing whilst the Oudie is quite

hopeless. As LX want £480 just for the "Compass module" I thought some

first hand feedback would be helpful?

The "money no object" solution seems to be the Butterfly vario, but again

there seems to be little pilot feedback on the web.

The LX 7007 is the most cogent argument I have encountered against gun
control, - although the collateral damage to the glider might be a
balancing argument for elniency.

But, if the compass modue functions as well as my 'Most Reliable Partner
in Glidng" flight computer did, find another solution. For me, it was
and is the LX 8080.

It's fantastic. And, if I were to consider additional options, I would
have faith they would work.