Old March 20th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc

Default KLN94 updates with Sandisk writer - unit-specific?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:13:54 +0000, Peter

You can also the firmware-updated ImageMate SDDR-31 (from SanDisk)
that's used for the KLN94 database update, free from he
https://www3.bendixking.com/wingman/.../wucontent.jsp, a few
other peolpe sell them but it is free from Bendix King web site.

I am posting onto an old thread, but there isn't a free *reader*
available; all they offer is the software. Both the PC software and
the SDDR31 firmware update are free from Honeywell.

I have just started using my SDDR31, purchased in 2003 from the
contact Honeywell gave me... I installed the latest v1.5 PC loader,
purchased the full year's sub, went to the aircraft and got the KLN94
database key, downloaded the data from Honeywell, started up the
loader program, opened up the database.exe file, and the thing just
kept asking if I had previously used a non-KLN94 flash card... then it
would crash. Eventually, after installing the whole lot on another PC,
and answering the above questions in a different combination, I
managed to get the flash card to program. BUT the loader program says
it changed the database key (how kind of it - not!!) to a different
value.

The cards do that. It appears random to me. I can't seem to pinpoint
what prompts the change, but mine have changed a number of times since
the first card.

The question is whether this new database key is going to work in the
KLN94... luckily the card I programmed was a spare one which Homeywell
sent me a couple of years ago, not the one currently in the KLN94. The
card I programmed was clearly a previously used card (had a 2003 date
on it) and perhaps it was programmed under a different database key by
the previous user. Can such a card be used in my KLN94? I thought the
KLN94 database key was in the KLN94 unit itself, so only cards
programmed under *that* key would work in *that* KLN94.

Any valid card works in any KLN94. All the KLN94 does is read the key
from the card and display it to you, just like the programming
software's "read key" function.

The following post from earlier in this thread, from Peter Clark,
seems to answer this

The download asks you for the GPS data key, not the serial number.
That key is *card* specific. Once correctly written to a card,
however it's written (front panel jack, SanDisk writer, PCMCIA writer
whatever), the card can then be used in any KLN94. You can even take
a card written via the front panel and then use it in another
aircraft's KLN94.

The way I do it is use the software to read the data key from the card
I'm about to write, use that code to download the cycle file and write
the card, take card to aircraft and swap. Repeat for next cycle. You
can do this for 1 or 50 spare cards.

A weird system, and evidently unreliable.

What makes you say that? Check key, download file, flash card. It
eliminates the chance of my giving the downloader the key for the
other card and thus burning a useless card. It's worked for me for 3
years with no issues.

I read somewhere that Honeywell had a loader program that supported
current-model CF writers - is this true? The SDDR31 supplies are bound
to dry up soon, as is the availability of the win98 computers that are
needed to update the SDDR31 firmware.

I've not seen a new loader which works with normal CF writers. As for
Win98 computers, does the loader require a DOS prompt like a BIOS
update or does it flash from Windows mode?