Old December 19th 16, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Static Wing Load Testing of Old Wooden Glider Wings

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 7:51:39 PM UTC-6, LongJourney wrote:
I'm restoring a 1963 Std Austria and trying to decide the risks and merits of load testing the wings. I can't find anything definitive on the web, at least nothing that doesn't get contradicted by some other source.

My concern is that load testing may damage the wings in an undetected way. OTOH, I don't want to find out that the spar already has some undetected damage by spotting one wing departing the aircraft while I'm flying it.

Opinions are welcome, but if anyone knows of an AC or other documentation that may shed light on this topic, I would greatly appreciate that information.

Thanks!

Jeff

A non-destructive test would be to assemble the glider and measure the resonant frequency ( up-down oscillation) at the wing tips. Some where/ some one may have the frequency for a Std. Austria in good structural condition for comparison.