Old November 10th 03, 01:51 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Keith Willshaw
writes

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
.. .
"M. J. Powell" wrote:

It still doesn't ring true to me Mike...Listen closely to the
announcer here while picturing him in a mind-numbing world of
harsh noise so loud that it's almost painful. He's speaking in an
almost conversational tone. I really can't see him doing that,
he'd be shouting, it's human nature to do so.

That's the one part I can believe. I grew listening to the
broadcasts of Wynford Vaughan Thomas and he
was one of those genial laid back types who always
seemed to be at ease whatever the circumstances.

You have to remember that his wartime career took
in several invasions including Anzio and he was awarded
the Croix de Guerre in 1945 for his work in France.

And Chester Wilmott and others recorded on disc during artillery
bombardments perfectly audibly.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell