View Single Post
Old May 11th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Nearest near-miss?

July 5th, 2016 I was flying on a heading at 70 knots and losing altitude. Another glider pilot warned me on CTAF that I have a Cessna on my six. A few seconds later, the Cessna flew directly over my canopy. Seemed like 100 feet away. If I get another warning about traffic on my six in the future, I plan to immediately turn 90 and dive. Thoughts?

October, 2017 I was orbiting over Sugarbush Ski Resort at 6000, slowly climbing in wave, Mode-S transponder, in contact with BTV approach and monitoring frequency. Approach warns a Cirrus that there is a glider 12 o'clock, same altitude. I get a traffic warning on Powerflarm. I spot the Cirrus. Immediate steep 90 turn and dive. I get a good look at the belly of the Cirrus. Cirrus says to Approach. "Okay, I saw the glider".

I figure that more and more power planes will be looking at their ADS-B-in screens and that 'see and avoid' is becoming less reliable. So last year I decided to add TABS on top of my Trig TT21. I have experimental airworthiness, so it's several hundred bucks for the upgrade.

June 2018, one month after deploying TABS, I'm in contact with BTV approach at 6000 and crossing the extended centerline of RW 35. About 25 miles from BTV. Its a little hazy. Approach tells a Piper 'Traffic 2 miles, 1 o'clock, same altitude', pause,'Traffic 1 mile, 1 o'clock, same altitude' The Piper says 'I still don't see the glider... but I've got him on ADS-B'. At this point, I realized why TABS/ADS-B-out is so much better than a vanilla Mode-S transponder. Radar contact let Approach warn the Piper, but TABS let the Piper 'see me'.