Old May 11th 19, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Nearest near-miss?

I'm wondering how many of these have ever been reported (to the authorities, not on r.a.s.). In the pre-transponder days I'd wager not many. The power pilot likely never saw the glider and the glider pilot likely didn't want the FAA up in his/her business.

If you don't have one, get a transponder - at least.

All my near misses are with gliders - many with Flarm screaming like a banshee. Thank goodness for that. Thermal entry - particularly out west where the pull-ups can be huge - is the main scenario for me.

Andy Blackburn
9B