Old May 16th 19, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Nearest near-miss?

Darryl,

You're right, of course.

On 5/15/2019 7:29 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Dan

Why are you raising STCs here? We've been over this many times. It does not matter there was no glider mention in the STC.

There was not *approval* for your install. Your A&P just submitted a 337 to the FAA following a simple set of instructions.

Again, for an ADS-B Out install in a type certified glider an STC is not be needed *as an STC* for to get approval for an install, it does not matter the STC does not cover a glider. It's only used to show that a particular pairing of an ADS-B Out GPS and Transponder have been previously approved.

You don't need or want an STC giving any more details for any install in a glider. What would that achieve? And no manufacturer is going to pay to develop one.

Forget ADS-B Out, there are no stupid STCs for any transponder install in any glider. Oh my God... how can we possibly have all those transponders installed without STCs?

If your A&P every says he/she needs an STC to install any avionics in a type certified glider run the **** away.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 4:49:31 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
For a Standard category glider it was a big pain to install and get the
documentation correct and approved.Â* There's no provision for gliders in
the STC provided for the TN70.Â* It was also very expensive and the WAAS
GPS box is very large, nearly double the size of the TT22 remote box.
Fortunately, there's plenty of room behind the Stemme's panel for the
hardware.Â* I haven't had a "close encounter" since installing a
transponder about 7 years ago.Â* The TN70 install was in Nov 2018, IIRC.

On 5/15/2019 11:17 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
These anecdotes make me wonder. Has anyone ever installed ADS-B-out or TABS in gliders BEFORE having a near-collision? What were your reasons for taking the plunge?

I know that it is not uncommon to install transponders as a precaution before having a close call, but there seems to be more reluctance to install ADS-B-out and TABS even amongst people have ample disposable income. This is just my impression.

--
Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J