Old May 18th 19, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vertical Card Compass Interference?

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 7:05:48 PM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
It is highly possible that the S100 (or other speakers) will interfere with the PAI compass.

I'm trying to figure out that gremlin right now. PAI recommended shielding the speakers which I am working on.

YMMV -

Lou

It is difficult to "shield" the field of a permanent magnet. A conductive layer, such as aluminum, shields against electromagnetic fields, not this. Best thing to do is to mount the speaker (which has a strong magnet in it) far away from the compass (at least a foot, preferably two). But check the compass behavior first, maybe it's OK as it is. At least the speaker's field does not change. Just check the compass reading in all directions.