Old November 1st 18, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Garden

Default looking for advice on lead n follow flights

At 10:49 01 November 2018, Per Carlin wrote:
I would say that Lead & Follow has to be performed as close as possible
bet=
ween the leader and the followers. Absolutely not more than within
eyesight=
and therefore is there no need of any technical devices more than a
radio.=

Thanks Per,
The issue I have is that I'm doing this in wave not thermal.
I want to leave the guys in lift and go off to check the next bit that
looks
good, actually is, before I call the guys to jump into it.

On recent flights around here (Scotland) I've come back to the same place
4 hours later and the wave is still running. So there are less issues with
lift
changing between me marking it and the guys using it. (not zero, but less)

The issue here is that the terrain is generally unlandable.
The Sink can be horrific.
And we are usually operating in winds stronger than 50kts at cruising alt.
None of these things are familiar to the guys asking for the lead n
follow.

So I want to be able to leave the guys in lift and get 10-15k away from
them to check the next bit.