Old March 15th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Don W

Default fixed wing or rotary wing?

Steve R wrote:
"Don W" wrote in message

Stefan L. wrote:

put it properly in its spot At that point, my instructor told me that he
felt I was ready to solo, but the schools policy required 15 hours of
dual because of insurance. That was back in '04.

Were you training in the US?
I wonder how a flight school can do this! The SFAR 73 requires
non-rotorcraft rated pilots to get 20h of dual instruction prior to solo
a R22.

So the least amount of hours for a rotorcraft helicopter add on would be
30 hours!

I just checked into this and you are correct. My instructor must have
been confused about the reason he couldn't sign me off for solo, or
perhaps I misunderstood him.

That would change the calculations in my earlier post to make the
helicopter only rating less expensive.

Don W.

Doesn't SFAR 73 apply "only" to the R22?

In scanning it, it appeared to apply to the R22
and the R44.

Don W.