Old May 27th 05, 05:02 AM
Jay Honeck

IF it were not severely underused, it would be just as clogged as the lane
the other schmucks were using. For a freeway to work properly, it must be
mostly empty, a fact most people don't realize.

There must be enough open space to allow proper merging, and an educated
fleet of drivers who know how to use it properly.

In my experience, it's the latter that's normally the "missing link"...
And all it takes is a relative hand-full of ignoramuses to foul up the whole
system.

But, back to Seattle. I think it's safe to say that building 1/4th of your
freeway system to only serve (perhaps?) 1/10th of your users is not the way
to speed things along. The vast majority of the drivers in Seattle were
"flying solo" -- and will continue to do so, no matter how fervently they
try to force car-pooling or mass-transit on them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA