Old June 11th 19, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Recommended websites for posting student IGC files?

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 11:44:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 9:02:10 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:

If they upload to OLC, it modifies (shrinks) the file for storage; this modification violates the security of the file, so it cannot be used for badge claims.

- that hasn't been my experience. I tried just now, downloaded from OLC a flight log from my FLARM that I uploaded earlier, and compared with the original, the two are identical. Except for the name of the file - OLC converts it to the short IGC file name standard, which shouldn't affect anything. (Yes the FLARM also uses that short file name format, but when Tophat extracts the file from the FLARM it gives it the longer name.)

- perhaps OLC shrinks files that have more frequent records? E.g., one per second, which is more often than is necessary. My FLARM is configured to save a record every 4 seconds.

Try to validate the OLC file with http://vali.fai-civl.org/validation.html ..