Old November 4th 03, 08:21 PM
T-Boy

In article ,
says...
If I'm crusing along at 100 KIAS in a 172 in clear air and I roll left
while maintaining neutral rudder, what will happen if I don't
neutralize the ailerons?

I'm picturing the plane rolling on to its back while losing altitude
and either completing the roll (doubtful) or stalling into a dive and
recovering in the other direction , right side up. (BTW, that's a
split-S, isn't it?)

I wouldn't anticipate a spin unless some serious rudder was cranked in
the direction of the roll.

-Scott "I feel like REALLY flying today" Lowrey

With an attitude like that, i'm not sure you should OK, seriously..
I think you'll find you'll roll over and then, keep on going, coming
back to a level, but pointing very much downwards by now, and your
airspeed will be well past max. To complete such a roll safely: get the
nose well up first (30/40 degreees) - otherwise you'll overspeed, and:
do these things in an aerobatically approved a/c with an instructor -
you'll: a) not bust the plane, b) have a chitload of fun!

--
Duncan