Old December 25th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
airshowbob[_3_]

Default SSA Copyright

OK, guys, here's an interesting (or maybe extremely boring) sidebar to
this thread. When someone takes photos of me (at an airshow, for
example), do I have any rights to those photos? Do I have any say in
where they are released? Do I have any right to royalties on the use
of my image?

Most airshow photographers have been very generous in allowing me to
use their work, and I've paid a few of the pros for restricted use of
their work. Like soaring, these guys mostly do it as a labor of
love. While a few can make a living with aviation photography, no one
is getting rich on airshow photography. However, one of these days
when a TV or movie deal finally comes for the airshow world, photo
royalties may become a big deal. Who would have thought that a few
Alaskan crab fishermen or guys working in a hack Harley chopper shop
would someday be valuable commodities...

Bob C.