Old December 6th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default LightSpeed QFR CC ANR vs Bose Aviation X

jbskies wrote:
: I have used LightSpeed QFR Cross Country (ANR) headset for 4 years.
: During this AOPA 2006 convention, I was tempted by the Bose's discount
: and purchased a Bose X headset. After 2 flights, today I decide to
: return the Bose headset.

: The reason that I return the Bose is because it seems to be noisier
: than the QFR CC. I could hear all kinds of higher frequency noise
: during the flights that made me feel uncomfortable. However, I feel
: upset because all the reviews saying Bose X is better in noise
: cancellation, which I don't agree. Is there any one who has the same
: experience as me? BTW, I also own a LightSpeed 20-3G headset. I
: only wore it for several flights before I put it on my passenger seat
: for the occasional passenger. I felt it is nosier than the QFR. BTW,
: I brought my QFR ANR headsets for $230 per pair.

: Thanks in advance.

I have had the same experience with the "higher-end" Lightspeed headsets. I've got a few pilot friends who have the
15XL, 20XL, 25XL, 30XL, and 3G IIRC... they're all the same. They have a great "wow-factor" of ANR by getting rid of the first
few engine harmonics (say, up to 800Hz or so). After that, they provide little to no attentuation, and in some cases actually
*amplify* the noise. I think I might be particularly susceptible to the 1-3kHz frequency range (where they tend to suck and/or
amplify the noise). I don't remember where I saw the review that showed the spillover (i.e. noise amplification) at 1-3 kHz.

In any event, I find when I'm wearing one of those, then engine noise goes away rather impressively, but the
radios/intercom become harder to hear. I have to turn up the volume to make out the voice (coincidentially also around 1-2kHz
for most of the intelligibility part) in lieu of the ambient noise. In fact, the amount I have to turn it up becomes almost
painful to me.

I've got some clampy passives, and some LightSpeed XFR CC ANR's that I use primarily... good passives, kills the highs,
and takes the edge off the engine noise (10dB or so maybe). Comfortable, (relatively) cheap, and better for your hearing, I'm
pretty sure.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *