Old March 8th 04, 04:47 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Jim Doyle" writes:
Interesting site, although one question,

Quoting Dudley:
"I used wheel landings a great deal when I had the space and the runway"
I guess the other kind (no wheels!) is a bit maintenance intensive!

Kids these days!
For an airplane with a tailwheel landing gear:

Wheel Landing - setting it down on the mainwheels with the tail wheel
off the ground. The airplane's still flying, at this point, but you
can see what you're going to run into. Directional control is easy(ier),
with plenty of airflow over the rudder.

Full Stall or 3-Pointer - stalling the airplane just before ground
contact, setting all 3 wheels on the ground at the same time. (pretty
much, usually/often/sometimes). The airplane is no linger flying, but
you can't see what's in front of you. (Especially in a P-51, with that
big long nose) Directional control is not so easy, with the rudder
blanked, and the landing gear geometry giving a nifty positive
feedback to any tendency to change direction.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster