Old February 24th 13, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

Good idea. I'll see if we can put something together.

In general, the USRC openly considers FAI rules to be dangerous and irresponsible and their US rules alternative (dictated to the US soaring community) as the solution to FAIs dangerous irresponsibility. In addition, the USRC believes that their rules are not only safer but superior in generating flourishing contest attendance (especially with new or casual contest pilots). In other words, US pilots would not fly FAI rule events as they are too "hard core.". US rules on the other hand, with there increased safety and "decreased likelihood" of land outs greatly improves attendance. No need for crews, less difficult tasks, etc.

We (probably 100 US and Candian pilots, almost 60 have signed) see FAI rules as real/true glider racing (Assigned tasks and Assigned Area tasks only). The rest of the world soaring community (VIRTUALLY EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON THE PLANET BASICALLY) happily uses FAI rules for every contest and has since the sport began. Statistically safety is approximately equal between the World standard FAI rules and the essentially obscure US rules. The US is in isolation from the rest of the world as we are almost a different sport (checkers vs. chess). The US rules are 2-3x longer than FAI rules for example.

I personally would like to see, for now, that US regionals retain the US rules and national championships should immediately adopt FAI rules as they qualify US pilots for the World Championship. I want there to be a choice in the USA. I wish to disarm the USRC of the ability to act as dictators to all US pilots (and contests) on what rules are best to use. I think there is significant misinformation about the FAI rules in the USA because of a bit if a publicity campaign against them for a reason I do not fully understand. I think there is clearly (sixty signatures from jr pilots to top US world level pilots) strong demand for FAI rules events within the US dispite this negative publicity campaign by the USRC. I feel the USRC is on a bit of a crusade to somehow pressure change the FAIs rules and uses the US contests as a test lab.

I'll work on the table and post it to a webpage.

Sean