Old January 7th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Accident? on 8-27-92

clipclip wrote:

Chris Wells Wrote:
I've got a video clip which shows a large, twin-engined plane, possible
a cargo plane, taking off and immediately looping and crashing. It's
taken from someone standing right at the edge of the runway, and the
whole thing appears to happen right in front of the cameraman. It looks
possibly faked. I've checked the NTSB database, and I can't find this
accident.

The video has the date August 27, 1992 in the display. Was this an
actual accident?

If someone can tell me how, I can upload the video somewhere...it's
pretty interesting.

you might be looking at a tape of a caribou canadian air force
transport plane at gimli, manitoba which IIRC, took off with its gust
locks in place. it was being filmed because this was a test flight.

very true and very sad.

frank

Yes, this is true...the a/c (a Caribou) was being readied for
conversion to the Buffalo (they replace the recips with turboprop
engines and redesign the tail to a "T" tail (among likely other
changes).

The elevator gust lock 'clicks in' only when it's armed and the
elevator control is moved rearward to a certain point. I
understand from the writeup that I saw somewhere that the co-jo
was very inexperienced on type although the capt was very
experienced.

Apparently, the lock came on when the control was moved far
enough aft on T.O. then couldn't be released because of the panic
pressure of the co-jo trying to ram it forward. Sad indeed...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)