Old March 26th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default ELT replacement: Options?

I was just informed by my mechanic who is performing my annual that my ELT is
fried and needs replacing. I have two choices: Replace the Artex model with
the same one, or upgrade to a newer unit that transmits on the new frequency.

If I go with the replacing the existing model, it transmits on a frequency
that won't be monitored by satellites starting sometime 2009. Of course,
there is a big discrepancy in price between the two types of units.
Regardless of what one I choose, I have to include the cost of installing a
remote test switch, since my aircraft doesn't currently have one.

Has anyone else faced this decision recently? If so, what model did you
choose?

--
Peter