Old December 7th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default GPS 396 audio terrain warnings

In article 1133984655.396756@sj-nntpcache-3, Dave Butler
wrote:
I do, but Garmin doesn't seem to be very interested in helping. I've
exchanged
several emails with their tech support. They don't acknowledge that there is
anything wrong.

I have noticed this problem at airports with higher terrain at the
approach/departure end of the runway. My home airport is one such
airport.

I think there was discussion on the Beech list a while ago about this
issue. I believe that Garmin informed someone on the list that the 396
filters terrain alerts within 2nm of the airport, and that MAY be the
case relative to the center of the field, but I know that it certainly
isn't relative to the runway threshold. Someone then mentioned that
Garmin stated that an increase to 4nm was planned for a future update.
However, that increase doesn't appear to be present in the current code
(v2.70).

JKG