Old December 8th 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default GPS 396 audio terrain warnings

The terrain warnings after the 500 foot alert "pull up, pull up!" are a
distraction. To be turning the volume down or putting the terrain
volume in mute is not what the pilot needs to be doing the last 500
feet of the landing. Howerver, this is truly a great GPS/weather
system. I hope that Garmin will delete these alerts below 500 feet
agl when landing at the destination airport with a software upgrade. I
had to send my 396 in due to intermitten XM radio audio distortion.
Garmin fixed the unit with a quick turn around. The problem with the
audio buzz does not exist on my 396. Audio is very clear. Buzz sound
may be an electrical ground problem or due to an alternator that has a
bad diode.

Larry Jones