Old February 25th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Nav Lights using Luxeon LEDs

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
At first I did not like the use of a fan either. However, the
alternative is to install heftier heatsinks (more weight and more
space). This is also why I installed a thermistor. If the fan fails,
the temperature will rise quite dramatically, and you will know
something is wrong. But you have a good point. The thermistor could
have been easily incorporated with the circuit to automatically scale
down the current with tempertaure rise.

Have you considered using a PWM circuit to drive the LED's? Those can get
you much higher efficiency than a series current regulator. That should
allow you to eliminate the fan entirely.

Maybe check out http://www.leddynamics.com/LuxDrive/drivers.php , they offer
a small solid-state PWM module called the Micropuck, specifically designed
for automotive purpose. Reasonably cheap, light and small.

Rob