Old April 17th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default This should settle it!

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:54:03 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

Or, instead of a mist machine, you have LCD goggles which, the more
current you run through them the more opaque the top half becomes. Or
however it is that LCDs work. Sayyy. That could actually work...

Actually, I'd bet it would work very well, at least for simulating reduced
visibility.

This could be combined with the mixed color trick to permit the entire
goggle surface to be misted in this color (or not). That's simpler (and
therefore cheaper), and it also avoids "peeking out the side" problems.

I'm not sure how well it could simulate cloudscapes, though (ie. for the
leaning horizon illusion). But, perhaps...

- Andrew

P.S. They'd still be less comfortable than "wearing" IMC, though grin.