Old April 18th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Default This should settle it!

Mark T. Dame wrote:
That fact is that your insistence that MSFS is a more valuable training
aid than it really is makes me glad that you aren't flying a real plane.

(Dammit, I'm feeding the trolls again. Somebody smack me.)

-m

SMACK!

MSFS is one hell of a simulator. It certainly isn't a training device,
however.

With MSFS I can land a 747 without bouncing or pancaking the damn thing
(which I still do occasionally in a tiny 150). I can also nail the
centerline in a large jet (I'm always off a bit to the left in a 150).

MSFS is great to get started, but just like anything, you HAVE to forget
all the bad habits you've taught yourself with the simulator because
real world flying is much different. A steep turn IRL is easier because
you can feel it in your ass. You can feel and see if it's too steep,
too fast, slow, whatever. In MSFS, you have to stare at the instruments
and watch the horizon and guess. Landing in MSFS is easier because it's
so damn forgiving.

You can go ahead and spend the $2,000-$4,000 on all of that high end
simulator stuff, the yoke, the rudder pedals, the instrument panel. You
can also spend upwards of $2,000 on one of those "real dolls" that will
simulate sex for you. The fantasy and the reality, in both cases (I'm
only guessing about the dolls) are far removed from each other and
should not be mistaken. (I am referring to MSFS and not an actual
training device)

Don't fall in love with your Real Doll, the arguments are bitter, bitter
affairs.