Old February 15th 20, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Morwood

Default Trailer tow advice

I think you should read your Outback manual about trailers w/o brakes. I don't think you can tow a 2,000 lb trailer that does not have trailer brakes. I have read that the limit is 1,000 lb. I found this in the 2019 Outback User Manual:

Trailer brakes are required when
the towing load exceeds 1,000 lbs
(453 kg). B

This differs from country to country for the same car. In Australia the 2019 Subaru Outback is rated for:

750kg unbraked (~1600 lbs)
1500kg to 1800kg braked depending on the model (~3200 to 4000 lbs)

I'm pretty sure the 750kg max is driven by the state road rules here that require trailers over 750kg GTM to be braked independent of the capacity of the towing vehicle.