Old December 28th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
KP[_1_]

Default IFR Cancellation Question

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Actually now that I think about it we have had the approach controller
clear an aircraft to land. Approach tells aircraft to contact tower. He
never does. On real short final tower calls down and tells approach
controller to clear him to land. Guy probably never makes that mistake
again. Another way to get the point across is to let the guy land without
a clearance and then have the approach controller tell him where to turn
off and contact ground. He'll know then. There have been tower radio
problems and we have just had the tower controller tell the approach
controller over the landline to tell the pilot cleared to land.

A VFR aircraft making a practice ASR or PAR approach, monitored ILS, or
flight-followed approach will enter the Class D airspace and continue to
receive ATC services while remaining in contact with approach control.
Switching to tower won't happen until after the aircraft has landed.

This happens around the clock, every day, all over the country. No FARs are
being violated by anyone involved.