Old April 5th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

Hahahahaha...ROTFLMAO........
Seriously, this method has worked well......so far. May be better ways.

Why do I LOL?

I did an early spring flight. In the air, I found we had a radio issue in my ship. Also no glide computer, etc. I guesstimated about 7 miles/thousand feet altitude (poor for a decent ASW-28, no real wind).
Fine while flying close to another club member maybe 15 miles from home.
Then we split.

I had no contact to anyone from then on for the most part.

Rule one, I have to have a way to get home if I land out......my problem. Maybe stay more local.
Rule two, "what would MacGuyver do"?

I found I could "just see a cell tower" coming up in bars, then (keeping my cellphone above the carbon cockpit) hit "send" to my son (at the airport) and say......"5k' over Sussex, heading to the gap".
This send thang took about 5 tries until I got a sent message.

No, not good, although plenty of fields and some airports if I had no reply.
Eventually got a reply.
Home knew where I was and goal.
I hit a forest fire late in the day, went to about 8K above the field a little over silver distance away.
Final glide was made, no drama.

They knew I was up, but, until my text, had no clue where. Last club member visual on me was about 90* to my last course.

Yes, give peeps an idea where you are.

I am not sure if our club is looking at changing procedures...... But, good suggestion.