Old November 27th 16, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default FLARM - No GPS

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 6:49:12 PM UTC-5, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Dan,

My experience with the Portable PowerFlarm is that I need to replace the alkaline batteries every 4-5 hours.

I just went to the local low cost warehouse and bought a brick of alkalines and replace them every flight.

A better choice is to put rechargeable cells in the unit and the use ships power to run it. That leaves the internal battery for backup. Be sure to change the setting in the unit for the correct type of battery.

Mike

Link with FLARM recommendation for batteries for Portable:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/powerflarm$20portable$20batteries%7Csort:relevance/rec.aviation.soaring/rp5rNv1y80g/g17DkORP2XUJ

exerpt:
"...We have run various tests with high temperatures rechargeable
batteries and PowerFLARM.
I will spare you from the details, but the conclusions a

1)
Recharging must take place in an area where the ambient temperature
does not surpass 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35C) as otherwise the PF
charging circuit will refuse to charge to prevent overheating.

2) Best rechargeable batteries to use (by far !) a
Sanyo XX Battery Powered by eneloop, 2500mAh High Capacity, Ni-MH
http://tinyurl.com/PF-rechargeables

Make sure they are the XX 2500mAh type, Sanyo/eneloop also sells lower
capacity AA's

With these batteries we have repeatedly measured runtimes of over 9h
at 70C (158 F) ambient with full backlight.

We will update the manual accordingly.
Please also remember that PowerFLARM does not charge the batteries
when it is turned on.

See you all soon!
Urs
FLARM"