Old November 28th 16, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FLARM - No GPS

Richard,

You are the first person to acknowledge the possibility of external
power which I've stated over and over again. I inserted weak
rechargeables simply to generate a log file at home. To repeat for the
last time - the PF Portable is powered externally via the ship's DC bus
in practice and, with external power it does not find any satellites. I
assure everyone, I've read the manual over and over. I've used screws
considerably shorter than the 10 mm maximum stated in the manual. And,
for the last time, I've run the unit with external power, rechargeable
batteries, and alkaline batteries and it still does not find any satellites.

Maybe I can find an external GPS antenna and see if it'll work that
way. I emailed Flarm support on Friday but have had no response. I'll
try again...

On 11/27/2016 6:28 PM, Richard wrote:
If you use external power you do not need batteries in the Portable Powerflarm.

If you do use batteries please read the following.

Rechargeable internal Batteries
The device features an internal NiMH battery charger only active when the device is turned off. When the device is turned off and electrically connected to the vehicle or aircraft battery (either via “Power” socket or power pins on the RJ45 socket), inserted batteries will be charged if the ambient temperature lies within the allowed range for charging NiMH batteries.
If non-rechargeable batteries are fitted to the device, never connect your device to an external power source (e.g. aircraft or vehicle battery)!
The internal batteries may only be charged if the device is resting on a non-flammable, dry base. When the device is being recharged, never allow it to remain unsupervised.
The integrated charging circuit will only charge batteries at an ambient temperature of up to about 40 °C (104 °F). If possible, charge your batteries in a cool, dry environment.

This is all in the manual.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

--