Old September 3rd 03, 03:46 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Jim wrote:
I'm not a boater, but what happens to 15 year old fiberglass boats?

I've got a 25 year old J-24 (sailboat). It was built using good
quality (but conventional) production techniques for the day:
polyester resin with woven glass cloth, balsa core, and gelcoat. The
basic structure appears to be in as good shape as it was the day it
left the factory. From a cosmetic point of view, it's a mess, but the
hull is sound.

I'm not really sure what you can learn from that, however. The kinds
of construction being used for aircraft today are a world apart from
what was used when my boat was built. Epoxy resin instead of
polyester. Cloth today is kevlar or carbon fiber instead of glass. I
assume aircraft are vacuum bagged and/or kiln baked.

All of these are better techniques, but on the other side, the layups
are a lot thinner. Anything built with the layup schedule of my boat
would be so heavy you'd never get it off the ground.

The only structural fiberglass part on my boat which approaches the
aspect ratio of an airplane wing is the rudder (300mm chord, 20mm max
camber, approx 1100mm unsupported span). Out of the factory, many of
the old rudders were thicker than the class rules allow (thick = more
drag) and in the old days, people tried to fair a few mm off the glass
to make the boats faster. The unfortunate side effect of this was a
lot of broken rudders!

The other high-aspect ratio piece of the hull is the keel. It's made
of lead and weighs 900 lbs. There's probably very little you can
learn about airplane construction from that :-)