Old December 25th 05, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Electrical issues question

Allen,

I would guess that unless your wiring for the landing light is
complicated they should be able to run a new wire in an hour or so. For
our Mooney the light switch has a built in breaker that trips whenever
there is a problem. I bet we've had to ahve the wire fixed three times
since we bought 4443H. Each time is is a very simple repair.

As far as your second comm goes (I'm not sure what is in your Sundowner)
but you should look into TKM MX Series NAV/COMS. They are direct
slide-in, plug-and-play replacements for King KX 170B, Cezzna 300 series
and Narco radios. You can pick up the King replacement (they call it
MX 170C) for about 1.5 AMU's and save yourself 1 AMU. When our 2nd 170B
craps out that is exactly what I am going to do. I've asked around and
people have good things to say about them. I had never heard of them
before I started looking into replacing our 170B. Here is a link so you
can see for yourself. Merry Christmas to you too!!

http://www.avionix.com/navcoms.html

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

A Lieberman wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:31:01 GMT, Jon Kraus wrote:

Allen,

Check that you don't have any chaffed wires that haven't made a direct
short yet but aare on the way. We have had several landing light issues
that just turn out to be a broken wire or a bad ground. Remember to
always check the simple things first because usually you hit paydirt!!

Merry Christmas Jon,

Do you think it is much to just replace the wire from a landing light to
the switch?

I seem to have a gremlin in that landing light. When I bought the plane,
had a very minor electrical fire (smoke and the unpleasant smell of
something burning, no flames) where the insolation burned at the switch.

I had isolated to the toggle switch as it was mighty warm to the touch.
Turned the switch off, and that resolved the problem til I landed. :-) Of
course, the "no landing light" training kicked in and it was really a non
event.

Replaced the switch and the problem went away until now.

Garmin 430 is in, but still have some issues to be taken care of. When I
transmit, I get a scratchy sound via the side tone. Asked ATC and Unicom
how my transmission was, and they said nice and clear. 2nd com, the sound
is very weak, and I can't tell if I am transmitting strongly or not. Ended
up going back to COM one while climbing out talking with tower. So, will
check back with the avionics guy when he returns from vacation after the
first of the year. May just go ahead and get a new COM2 when I take it
back. After 11.5 AMU's, whats another 2.5?

Nothing simple with airplane ownership.....

Allen