Old November 20th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Malcolm Austin

Default Beginner, Parachutes?

A few years ago I jumped into a K8 that had just arrived at our club.

It had almost an arm chair as a seat, so no room for a parachute. It was a
great day in mid summer so 10 minutes later I'm at nearly 7000'. Nice
flight and I came down to jump into my K6 to get my silver height gain,
which was duly done.

Arrived home to find my S & G magazine had arrived. Read the accidents
page and saw about a UK accident where a parachutist had hit the wing of
a K8 which then spun in. It must have taken quite a few seconds in descent
for that K8 to reach the ground, as he had no parachute.

I've never flown since if there was ever a chance of getting above winch
launch height. Yes some will laugh, but they did that we got seat belts in
cars didn't they?

I once was a passenger in about 1967 where we smashed into the side of a
car that jumped the lights. It was only at 20 mph and I was ready with my
hands on the dash, I still got a bloody nose when hitting the windscreen.
I learnt then that belts were a good thing, But you can't get such a
warning in
a glider hitting the ground. Parachutes fulfil the same function, so why not
use
one?

I do not agree with the safety police policies, but some things just seem to
be about
right!

"vic20owner" wrote in message
Dumb beginner question follows:

I am just starting out flying gliders.... Here in the USA it seems
nobody wears a parachute unless they are contest flying or doing
aerobatics. However, I generally do like knowing that I have a backup
plan and a parachute seems reasonable. I suppose a history of cave
diving has made me sensitive to accident possibilities. I realize
flying is very safe but gliders tend to fly in circles near each
other.

Would it be premature to buy and wear a parachute while still taking
lessons, or would I quickly become the club's private joke?

thanks