Old September 24th 03, 05:07 AM
Bret Maverick

(Dave) wrote in message om...
Does anyone have a source and part number for Stainless Steel
structural screws for the fuel tanks on my 1972 Cherokee 6-300?
Spruce, Wag, etc. have them but they are not structural.

MS27039 are available from gen-aviation-hardware
(
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/) in alloy steel, CRES
(stainless), or beryllium-copper structural.
They are full tension rated structural screws and have a full sized
head.
AN 525 are structural but I think only available in alloy steel. AN
525 are shear screws and are only rated at 50% of the tension load as
MS 27039 screws.
However they have a low profile head and look nicer once installed.
They are available from Spruce and Chief and others I am sure. The
location where they are used is primarily in shear, and the full
tension screws are not necessary. For my money, stainless screws are
subject to galvanic corrosion and can in some instances cause a
problem in this regard. Many pilots in Alaska prefer the steel screws
as they have had problems with the stainless. It is really your call
since the stainless screws do look nicer and if you keep them treated
with LPS or similar they probably won't give you a problem.The steel
screws have the classic gold lacquer finish.

regards,

Bruce Cunningham
N30464