Old October 8th 03, 10:21 PM
Roger Long

Both the FSDO and AOPA have told me otherwise. The funeral example actually
came from the explanation someone at AOPA gave me. If you are in a gray
area, not cost sharing will certainly help your case. It might also turn an
action into a warning.

The FAA will base their decision largely on what they think the passenger
perceives which will largely depend on what the passenger says. People's
natural instinct to appear grateful can get you into trouble even if the
flight was legit. Passenger gushes to FAA during ramp check, "Oh, it was so
wonderful of him to fly me down here, I know he's so busy and it was out of
his way!" You're busted. Make sure your passengers know what to say.

--
Roger Long
Ben Jackson wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Long om wrote:
The FAA is looking for two things when considering the question of

whether a
private pilot was carrying a passenger(s) legitimately.

You kind of left out "...and sharing costs". You can carry whoever,
wherever, for free.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/