Old July 6th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

Default Unpaved Landing areas

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
Mike wrote:
Such is the case with my insurance. I suppose I could probably pay more
for
the privelege, but there's not that many in which I care to land and the
wear and tear to my nosewheel plane just isn't worth it. Besides I can
always hitch a ride with a tailwheel buddy or rent a Citabria if I have a
turf runway itch I need to scratch.

Strange. I've never had a policy that prohibited unpaved runways and
I've
been buying 'em since 1990. Out here in the west, a large number of
public
use airports have unpaved runways.

Unpaved doesn't necessarily mean wear and tear on the nosewheel. I've
been
landing my Cherokee on strips like these for more than a dozen yrs. and
have
never had any nosegear problems :

I agree completely. A well maintained turf runway is no problem. It's the
unmaintained ones that are hard on aircraft. Naturally unmaintained paved
runways are a problem too, but there aren't as many.

http://members.cox.net/jgalban/12f70900.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/1c180890.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/1ed9bf40.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/1fa9bf40.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/13e15900.jpg

There are a lot of very unique unpaved public airports in the country.
Your missing out.

I've got probably 200 or so take-offs and landings on turf fields. The
number of them that I miss can be counted on one hand. Gastons, Cedar
Mills, and McGehee's come to mind, but as I said, I can always go with
someone else if I want to and I rent a tailwheel 3-4 times per year anyway.