Old January 10th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Lycoming O-360 ring gear

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:25:44 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I don't know about the OEM gear-reduced ones, but Skytech makes their PM in
both flavors. I checked my paperwork last night and it looks like the starter that's
in it is the 149-12LS. I think I need to visually verify this, though. The gap
between the ring gear and starter seems a bit wider than it should be... maybe the
starter is actually a 122-12LS.... or maybe the ring gear teeth are all just worn down
too much.

did you count your ring gear teeth? I think the direct-drive starter
gears were a little larger in diameter.

sorry I don't have ready access to prestolite starter drives any more,
the stuff I allegedly maintain nowadays read RPM in % N1 & N2.

: I'm sure you are aware that only the outer portion (the "gear") needs
: to be replaced, not the entire support assembly.

Yes... looks like the price on it tends to run about $130-$150

heh. or twice that if you drop in on the support upside down, or fail
to get it seated all the way. BTDT

TC