Old March 2nd 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Wooden Propellers

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Crash Lander" wrote

The Skyfox Gazelle I fly has a wooden prop. It has just been
re-furbished. It truly is an awesome piece of work. One downside however
is that the a/c cannot/should not be flown in even light rain, as the
raindrops pit the prop.

I take that it does not have any metal or resin leading edge inserts to
protect it?
--
Jim in NC

It does have resin leading edge inserts, but they take a beating just from
dry weather flying. I was always paying close attention to them during my
pre-flight inspection, because I was noticing the damage slowly getting
worse from week to week.
It may be a case of once the damage starts, it's all down hill for the
inserts. I'm not sure. Perhaps the new ones will be more durable.
The a/c has no screen wipers anyway. Also, being basically a kit plane, I
can't imagine it's all that water tight! ;-)
Oz Lander