Old March 3rd 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Berry

Default Wooden Propellers

In article
,
"Dave Kearton" wrote:

john hawkins wrote:
Besides beauty there is another benefit to a wood propellor.
No sudden stoppages. The prop just turns into splinters.
Don't ask

If such a situation were ever to occur cough where a wooden prop was
aaah converted to components, via lets say, nosing over too far and
encountering dirt, would you still require an engine rebuild ?

Purely hypothetical - of course.

Wooden props are interesting for their physics as well. Wooden props do
not obey the law of conservation of mass. By empirical experiment, I've
demonstrated that a 72 inch wooden prop, spinning at approximately 2800
rpm, will, upon striking asphalt, generate at least twice it's mass, and
at least a dozen times it's original volume in splinters. I have filed
an invention disclosure for a process to manufacture toothpicks based on
this phenomenon.