Old June 27th 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Thoughts on GDI in aircraft engines.

On Jun 22, 2:30Â*am, Philippe wrote:
le mardi 21 juin 2011 17:46, s'est pench sur son critoire num rique:

Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) has been integrated into quite a few
automotive engines over the past few years. Â*After reading an article
about it, and googling for the availability of GDI fuel injectors I
started thinking this might be a cool direction to go in for those
persons interested in engine design, particularly the HCI Radial
guys.

Forget GDI on an aircraft engine, it is a good thing only when you use
the engine a very low charge with EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system.
The GDI engines are not better than standard engines at full charge.
For an airplane we kneed light engines and best fuel use at full power.
It may be achieve with mechanical injection.
The best I know is the IO320 in the homebuilt Â*power range, it is
better than most of automotive conversion.

--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODCf7J8L0o
Â* Â* Philippe Vessaire Â*Ò¿Ó¬

Can you site a source?

From what I've read thermal efficiency has been increased by designing
the injection pattern and the top of the piston in order to keep the
combustion away from the cylinder walls. I've seen nothing that
suggests this negatively effects performance at wide open throttle.

It occurs to me that with a fixed injection map, mixture can be
controlled with the throttle body. Rather than reducing fuel, you add
air instead to lean the mixture. So there is potential for a fully
mechanical system.

Thanks