Old May 16th 14, 05:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

Default How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive anairplane crash?

On Fri, 16 May 2014 03:52:45 +0000, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

Armed with the new keywords "wet cloth hydrogen cyanide", I find more
on the toxicity of HCN over he

This flight safety PDF titled "Guarding the airways", is of interest:
http://flightsafety.org/download_fil...t06_p28-30.pdf

It mentions only that the "wet cloth" prevents irritation, which we're
not concerned with in this discussion.

They also explained that the "dry" heat of a cabin fire isn't of great concern:
"the human body’s upper airway naturally provides significant protection
to the lower airway and lungs against extreme heat from hot, dry air".

I'm pretty surprised about those findings, but they in this article
specifically about guarding your airway during an airplane cabin fire.