Old October 19th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Cheaper tows?

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 7:44:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 3:52:56 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Wrong?

Answer this, did you/others run small engines for close to 2000hrs at full throttle with no rebuilds?
Frankly, not likely.

While most IC aircraft engines are archaic, they spend most time at close to full power for close to 2000 hours.

Herb, while I know you (and you know me, but maybe not remember me), I have to say most automotive engines trying to do what a "lump of an archaic engine" is normally used in US GA gas piston engines,

Rough guess........would you run a car engine at full power for 2000hrs? Quick numbers, 45MPH for 2000 hours, say about 90,000 miles.
Me, no Frikkin way.
You, I have no clue, go for it, not my wallet.

Herb, go rush against other issues, I think you lose on this one.......OK?

Can't wait to see you cruising, descending and landing for 2,000 h on full power, Charlie. All engines have significant partial power time. I'm just fighting that old myth about GA aircraft engines (the dinosaurs of American technology) being "made" for constant max power.

Not max, but 75%.

Tons of people are cruising around with 200 to 300 HP engines in their cars.. They occasionally use full power for five to ten seconds and then cruise along using something like 15 to 20 HP continuous.