Old October 20th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cheaper tows?

A little thread drift here.....I flew the factory demonstrator Eagle (300hp Lycoming) back in 1980 for one little flight. While I can't attest to it's towing capabilities, I remember it was unique in that it had the long, skinny wings, and spoilers on the top of the bottom wings. Each spoiler had it's individual lever, or you could move them together. Individually, each one would help roll into a turn a bit faster, and together they would help the slightest bit if coming in over a power line. I don't recall them being particularly effective as far as being able to come down any faster from a tow, but then I was flying in the ag pilot mode, not tow pilot. I do remember it feeling like flying a big box kite.

Towing behind a turbine would be like a cat shot. Probably the same angle, but LOTS faster than a winch!