Old June 13th 05, 07:01 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:58:15 -0700, Jack Allison
wrote:

Friday on the takeoff roll from Minden, NV (MEV), the oil door decides
it's time to bail out.

The 100 MPH tape holds well enough that we don't lose the oil door into
Lake Tahoe on the way back. First time I've seen 170 kts GS on the GPS
as we were coming downhill from 12,500 back into the Sacramento valley.

I had the similar occurence on my PA28-180. The latch broke, and the
door started flopping around in the slipstream. Not too violent,
which was surprising given that I was at cruise speed.

Anyway, I landed and made a temp repair with duct tape. Worked just
fine, but after repair - the duct tape residue was difficult to get
off the cowling.

-Nathan